After communism and capitalism, there is asterism.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Chat of the Day: Hope and Irony

Following is a conversation I had with a friend about today's election in Iraq..

Ahmed
Have you voted? Though I expect not

SalamAdil
well I dont have anyone to vote for and anyway if my vote only counts for 40 of the seats - what's the point??

Ahmed
my whole idea is to keep radicals away from the parliment whether sunnis or shias

SalamAdil
these poeple will fight and cheat for every seat they can get
One interesting thing this time - I have heard nothing from the UN
aren't they supposed to be monitoring that the elections are being conducted and counted fairly?

Ahmed
I think the whole process is organized and probably monitored by iraqis only this time. Scarey. huh

SalamAdil
exactly - but at least the police are independent after all the US and Britian spent ages choosing them carefully

Ahmed
do you really think that police are independent?

SalamAdil
I am being ironic

Ahmed
I see
I've personally seen police men with Muqtada al sadir pictures on their cloths
same for Badr,
they are loyal to their party first, then the police

SalamAdil
But they are responsible for the secutiry of the ballots

Ahmed
unfortunately

SalamAdil
do you think they will resist the temptation to peek inside the ballot boxes

Ahmed
good question. I think that they will not dare to do that in sunni and northern cities, but the south is completely left for them to do whatever they want

SalamAdil
well then they get control of their own cities
so do you think things will be better after the election

Ahmed
I can only hope so

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home